Has it been long enough since I made my last banana bread? It’s just been a little over a month.
Not long enough, you say? In the words of Adrienne Maloof, “Well, whaddyou know?”
[Personal life aside: Is anyone else obsessed with all the Real Housewives like I am? Well, except Atlanta. I can’t seem to get into it for some reason. A friend told me how she saw Andy Cohen at a bar the night before the Superbowl and I was teeming with jealousy. Seriously. I have a problem. I’m a RH addict and I’m not afraid to show it. HOLLER!]
Anyhow, my home never seems to be without its share of overripe bananas and given my constant desire for baked breakfast goods, banana bread has been topping my list lately.
So banana bread version 2 was a go and I’m so glad it was because this recipe is super simple, requires one bowl, and doesn’t even need the help of electricity for mixing! Don’t get me wrong, I heart my KitchenAid like my own child but, like a child, sometimes you just want to do it on your own without an extra bowl or utensil to clean. The flavor of this banana bread was wonderful too. I wish there were still something of it left.. It got consumed too quick for my liking. Next time, I’ve made a mental note to double the recipe and get two loaves (one of which will be for me and me alone)!
Before I go sharing the recipe with you though, I’m a little behind on my posting of my daily eats. So..
This (Past Two) Week(s) I Ate:
- Epicurious’ Apricot Glazed Chicken. Not a huge fan. Perhaps the chicken was a little bit dry but, for some reason, the flavor didn’t work for me either.
- For Chinese New Year, I made Kevin’s dumplings with some adaptation (such as adding a bit of water chestnuts for crunch) using Jaden’s well-explained technique and sauce with the slurry and folding the dumplings. They came out super-cute, super-delicious, and Boy (and I) loved it! I also made some very quick bok choy. It was a wonderful way to start the new lunar year.
- Mac & cheese that I adapted from the back of a Kraft shredded sharp cheddar package (I accidentally threw the package out before writing down the recipe). It had peas and bacon and was not as cheesy as I may usually like but probably healthier as a result so.. winning dish! Also, sometime in the leftover process I discovered the merits of adding just a bit of sour cream. Oh it was genius, forrealllll.
- Our Superbowl extravaganza consisted of pizza from an unnamed pizza place, Buffalo Wild Wings (yummy), homemade chili from another friend, nachos, taquitos, lots of dips, salsa, guacamole, and finished with my (now-famous-in-my-group-of-friends) Mint Blueberry Cupcakes.
- More Trader Joe’s and cafeteria food. Yum to the former. Ew to the latter.
In other news, I’m busy concocting February’s STO original recipe to follow up January’s success. A friend made a cupcake request so be on the lookout!
Banana Bread – Take 2
adapted from Simply Recipes
Makes 1 loaf.
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 stick (4 tbsp) unsalted butter, melted
- heaping 3/4 c granulated sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 4 x 8″ loaf pan.
Using a wooden spoon, combine bananas and butter in a large bowl. Add in the sugar, egg, and extract and mix. Add in the baking powder and salt and mix. Finally, add the flour and mix just until the flour disappears. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool however long you can and serve!
Is there a dish you make often for whatever reason? What is it? Do share!